In the My Computer window you can see all the external memory devices attached to your computer. These are all the places you could store computer files (programs and documents). You will also see some folders for your Printers, your Control Panel and for any Dial Up Networking you may have.
My Computer - External Memory Devices
Some common disk drive icons are shown below.
By convention, the first floppy disk drive is named A and the second (if it is present) is named B.
By convention, the first hard disk is named C. (Others can be called D, E, F etc if present).
By convention, CD-ROMs are named the next letter after all the hard disks have been named (usually D in a system with one hard disk drive). And so on for all other drives attached to the computer.
- Take a few moments to identify the drives on the computer you are looking at.
- You will also have folders for the Control Panel and for your Printers present.
- Open the folder marked Control Panel. The control panel will appear before you. We look at this later on in the course.
- Close the Control Panel window.
- Open the folder marked Printers. You will see all the printers attached to your computer.
- Click on the printer labelled Canon Bubble Jet BJ 200. You will see a window that will contain any documents waiting to be printed on this printer.
- Close the Canon Bubble Jet BJ 200 window and the Printers window.