The Welcome Window
Once you have successfully logged on, you should see a desktop that looks like this:
The Welcome window is a quick way to see tips about Windows NT or access the Help files. The buttons on the right of the window give a variety of actions you can perform.
- Click on the Next Tip button.
- A new tip will appear in the Welcome window. Read this tip.
- Click on the What's New button. This will take you to the Help topic for If You've Used Windows Before. The following window will appear on your screen.
This window tells you about some of the things that are new on this interface. It is designed for those people who have used Windows or a Windows type interface before and are now updating their knowledge to Windows NT.
We will look at the Help files later in this course. Click the cross button in the upper right hand side of the window to close it. The Welcome window will still be on your screen.
- Click on an option on the left hand side list. The right of the window will now show instructions for that option. For example, if you select the first option, the window will show the following:
- Click on the cross button in the top right hand corner of the window to close the window. Your welcome window will still be on your screen
- Click on the Help Contents button. You will be taken to Windows NT Help. The following screen will appear.
At the bottom of the Welcome window is the option Show this Welcome Screen next time you start Windows NT. If there is a tick next to this option you will see this window every time you start your computer.
- Click in the white box next to this option to remove the tick (de-select the option).
- Click in the box again to put the tick back (select the option).
It is your own choice whether you like to see the Welcome window or not when you start up your computer. We will set the window not to appear when we start the computer.
- Click in the white box to de-select this option (no tick).
- Click on the Close button. The Welcome window will disappear. It will not appear the next time you start your computer.
NOTE: The Welcome window program has not gone from your computer. To see the window again, find the Welcome.exe program and run it by double clicking on its icon. The Welcome window will appear on your screen.